Importance of Salmon

Native Perspectives on Sustainability friendsofnps at nativeperspectives.net
Wed Sep 28 11:22:49 PDT 2011

Dear Friends,

First, Native Perspectives on Sustainability has a new Facebook community
page <http://www.facebook.com/NativePerspectives>.  Please check it out,
click "Like," share with your friends and post your thoughts.

With the heart of the fall Salmon runs just around the corner, I am pleased
to present *Importance of
Salmon<http://www.youtube.com/user/NativePerspectives?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/RStzD3Rhex4>
* (2:51) featuring Carol Craig (Yakama).  In acknowledging the many
relations upon which her people depend, Craig acknowledges the special place
of Salmon and recounts the leadership of the Yakama Nation in the effort to
bring Salmon back to the Yakima River.

To read another brief account about the importance of Wy-Kan-ush (Salmon) to
the indigenous peoples of the region, see this page from the Columbia River
Intertribal Fish Commission
<http://www.critfc.org/sots/salmon_import.html>(CRITFC).

Click here for a short
article<http://www.bauuinstitute.com/Articles/IndigenousFishingPacificNorthwest.html>from
the Bauu institute reinforcing the importance of Salmon and providing
thumbnail sketch of the history of the NW tribes and their fishing rights
since the signing of the 1855 treaties.

For a scientific perspective on the importance of Salmon to larger
conservation efforts, check out the rationale for the focus of The Wild
Salmon Center <http://www.wildsalmoncenter.org/about/whySalmon.php>.

Last but not least, take action by sending a
message<https://secure3.convio.net/sows/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=549>to
the Obama Administration and Congress (made easy by the good folks at
Save Our Wild Salmon).

Thanks and be well,
David

--
David E. Hall, Ph.D.
Native Perspectives on Sustainability: Voices from Salmon Nation

Connect with Native Perspectives on Sustainability through
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/NativePerspectives?sk=wall>
Video link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NativePerspectives?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/RStzD3Rhex4<http://www.youtube.com/user/NativePerspectives?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/YWVVYAHHeoo>
To unsubscribe or manage your subscription to this mailing list click
here<http://nativeperspectives.net/mailman/listinfo/friendsofnps_nativeperspectives.net>